Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Message From Dawn's Family


Dear Friends,

Dawn's illness seems to be bringing her close to her journey's end now, and she has recently been started on a morphine pump which has helped keep her more comfortable. The first day on morphine, she was comfortable enough to sit up and paint just a little as you can see in the picture. As her disease claims her body, her angelic smile and beauty still shine through her face. She has good days where she's very lucid and her mind is very sharp and then she has bad days where we lose her to the disease and the drugs.

I know a lot of you would like to say a few words to her to express your love and support and it just isn't possible for her to have visitors, but we've come up with a way for you to get her a personal message. You can call my cell phone 503-701-9042 between the hours of 9:00 PM and whenever at night - I'll just put it where I cannot hear it after 9:00 PM - and you can call and leave her a message. Then I can play them for her and she can hear your voice and your words. I know it's not the same as being able to touch her and speak with her, but...

Again, thank you all. Words cannot express our thanks and the love we send out to all of you for your support and your love for Dawn.

Sincerely, MaryBeth (sister) on behalf of the rest of the Phelps family; Robyn and Harold (parents), and Lynda and Susie and Lee (other sibs).

3 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Hi, Dawn:

I just want to say that I miss you and I love you! It's been a long time since college, but you are always in my thoughts.

Hugs,
Michele B

A Bookworm said...

Hey Dawn, How wonderful that the auction was so amazing! It just goes to show the truth of the quote I shared with you earlier this summer: When you give your heart to life, it is not lost; for a thousand hearts come back to you and each one contains a bit of your own. Sounds like those hearts that you have touched all you life have come back to you in a huge way—not unexpected at all if you really think about it. :) I love you.

Paula said...

Dear MaryBeth, Robyn and Harold, Lynda, Susie, and Lee,

I cherish my friendship with Dawn.
Thank you so much for posting this picture of her. My computer screen is a mess of smudges as I reach out and pat her beautiful face often.

Please give my love to Dawn and take a measure for yourselves.

Hugs,
Paula Schilling